Sunday, December 20, 2009

Winter vintage cake from my nan's childhood..

I'd like to give you one of my nan's childhood recipes, "Pinza", (not to be mistaken with Pizza!) ,which is an old Venitian winter cake. Once, when Panettone was not so popular and people were not so well-off, Pinza was considered the traditional Christmas cake and this is the simplest and classic recipe....
INGREDIENTS

(12 serves, not sure about quantities, my nan tends to bake at industrial levels..) :
- stale bread
- all purpose flour
- raisin 250 gr
- dried figs 250 gr
- apples (sweet variety) 500 gr
- eggs 2
- caster sugar 200 gr
- a pinch of salt
- milk 0,75 lt
- fennel seeds
- pine kernels
- olive oil
- grappa 1 shot glass
- cognac 1 shot glass

DIRECTIONS :

- Boil the milk- Cut the bread into thin slices - Chop the apples- Chop the dried figs- Sprinkle on the sliced bread the fennel seeds and add the hot milk. Let it soak - Add the apples, dried figs, raisins, pine kernels, sugar, eggs, some flour, some drops of olive oil and a pinch of salt, grappa and cognac- Mix together and lay the mixture into a baking pan (previously basted with olive oil and flour) - Bake until golden brown and serve into slices when it will get cold

19 comments:

BadPenny said...

now that looks really good !

Lesley said...

Mmmmmmm. I more exotic version of the bread pudding my Mum used to make when we were kids.

Took me straight back to when I was seven!!

KC'sCourt! said...

Oh that looks wonderful, and I am definitely going to make it. Is traditionally eaten today the last Sunday in Advent? I bake at industrial levels too.........

Diane said...

I love British Bread and Butter pudding, this does look like a more exotic version. I'll have to give it a go. xx

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Michela,

This looks really delicious and many thanks for sharing the recipe.

Enjoy the last Sunday in Event.

Hugs
Carolyn

Rosie said...

Mmm that looks really tasty and easy to make too - thankyou for sharing the recipe:)

Hopie said...

that looks delicious. It is like a bread pudding...the most delicious of peasant food.

Lyn said...

mmmm, looks good. I agree with Diane, looks like 'our' bread and butter pudding.
Love
Lyn
xxx

Simone said...

I love the look of the vintage cake. I think I will have to add this recipe to my list. Thank you Michela!

Pom Pom said...

I send some happy, Christmas cheer your way. I pray that today, you will experience some supernatural joy and zip through your "to dos" so you can rest, knowing you are deeply loved by the KING of kings.

Olga said...

It looks extremely tasty!

Alison said...

Oh yum - bread and butter pudding goes supernova! It looks so yummy, and a great way of eating up stale bread, which is always useful. The real difference with bread and butter pudding is that you don't use eggs - I suspect the alcohol does the same job! Thanks for this and Happy Christmas, Michela!

JuanitaTortilla said...

WOW... A very Fennel-flavoured bread pudding with fruits!!!

Sarah said...

We've always got stale bread - so what a great way of using it up. Thanks so much for sharing - I'll add that one to my collection.
Have a wonderful Christmas.
x

Susie's country cottage said...

Hi Michela
The cake looks delicious! I love gooey cakes like that!
I would like to wish you and your family a very merry Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your lovely posts in 2010.
Susie X

Lululiz said...

Another great recipe to try, so unusual.

Victoria - Florence and Mary said...

Yummmmmmm!

Victoria xxx

Kelly said...

This looks allot like our bread pudding, I will dig you out a recipe for that hunni!!!

Rihana said...

The Apna Showroom Women's Lice Comb is a fine-toothed comb useful for personal grooming and regular hair care routines. Its fine teeth help in carefully combing through the hair and scalp. It can be found using buyer-intent keywords such as “Women Lice Comb Online,” Apna Showroom Women's net Fishnet Lingerie Stockings - Fishnet Stockings for women - (Black Free Size) Pack of 2
Novasox Ankle High Fishnet Mesh Women Socks, Women Fishnet Mesh Ankle Socks
Apna Showroom Banana Hair Clips Clutcher for Women/Girls (Combo Pack of 6 Pieces Multicolour, Ragular Size)
“Lice comb for women,” “Fine Tooth Comb,” and “Hair Cleaning Comb Online.” Use it carefully as part of your personal hygiene routine. This compact hair accessory is convenient to keep at home and use whenever needed.