Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Gnocchi recipe

INGREDIENTS (6 serves) :
- 1 kg baking potatoes
- all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- a pinch of salt
- grated Parmigiano cheese
- grated nutmeg

DIRECTIONS :
- Scrub potatoes
- Place in a 6-quart pot of salted water and boil until tender, about 30 minutes
- Drain water from potatoes, and then cool in pot
- Peel and mash potatoes. Cool at least 30 minutes

- Add eggs, salt, nutmeg, Parmigiano cheese and all-purpose flour.- Slowly combine the eggs and flour with the potatoes to make dough. Work dough with the palms of your hands. Add remaining flour, only if needed. Dough should be smooth but not sticky. - Make dough into five equal balls. On a floured surface, use your palms to roll each piece into a long tube. - Use a knife to cut each tube into 5 cm long pieces. Dust each gnocchi with flour

- Roll each piece on a grater, pressing with your thumb to give it the classic shape ....et voilà......

- Bring a 5-quart pot of salted water to the boil. Cook gnocchi for 4 to 5 minutes. (Once the gnocchi come to the surface of the water. Let them cook 1 more minute and then remove with a slotted spoon) ...ready to be served with hot Bolognese Sauce! ..and if you don't like Bolognese sauce , you can have them with your favourite pasta sauce or just sautéed with butter and sage.

31 comments:

BadPenny said...

ooh thank you ...I always wondered how it was made

Diane said...

Ive never made Gnocchi - you made it look really easy - i'll have a go at this toeards the end of the week. I love your Italian recipes!! (Can't believe you dont like Bolagnaise!! everybody love Bolagnaise!!)

MelMel said...

Totally yummy!x

Lululiz said...

Really does looke easypeasy, please pass my thanks on to your lovely nan.

I think we will have gnocchi tonight! WITH bolognese sauce of course.

PS - Don't you dare tell anybody else what Baumstumpf means, if you do manage to find out :-)

Mami said...

I've had gnocchi but never made yet. i love pretty shape. I keep your Italian recipe.
Thank you for sharing recipe.Also thanks to your lovely nan.

sarah-jane down the lane said...

Your Nan has bewitched me with that recipe, how yummy?
What time shall I come round!

Sarah x

Tracey said...

My MIL makes the best gnocchi! I'm too clumsy with it, but Amy's are delicious....XXX

KC'sCourt! said...

They look absolutely delicious and I am certainly going to make them!

Sarah said...

That looks so easy - I don't know why we're all not making it! thanks for sharing!

Lisa said...

My 3 love gnocchi, as it's made using mashed potato and I have a BIG aversion that, I cook it but don't eat it!
Lisa x

Unknown said...

I shall definitely be trying this! I shall go and get a pen and paper! Thank you! Suzie. xxx

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Please tell your nan that I am very happy to have this recipe! I have always wanted to make this dish but never understood how to go about it! I know we will love it! Have a wonderful day to you both!

...Nina Nixon... said...

'Ooohhh' Gnnochi - my favourite!!

Thanks for the recipe,

Nina x

Kissed by an Angel said...

More yummy scrummy food!!!! I looooove gnocchi di patate mmmmmmmm!!!! I must try making it now!!!

xxxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Michela,

that looks yummy! I have never had gnocchi but I love pasta and bolognaise :-)

I hope you are feeling much better now?

Rose XXX

Lyn said...

Wow, always wondered what Gnocchi was. I love your gran's hand in the picture, I bet that's made some beautiful meals in it's life time-that sounds like your gran's hand has a life of it's own and I don't mean this! I mean your gran must of made some beautiful meals during her lifetime!!!
Love Lyn
xxx

Victoria - Florence and Mary said...

Now I don't like pasta but I do love potatoes so i should maybe give this a go!!

Victoria x

Sophie - Chez Sophie said...

Looks yummy.
Hopr your feeling better.
Love sophie xxxx

Kelly said...

Gnocchi with sage and butter is the best thing ever! I always have that when I'm in italy!!!
Your Nonna looks very good at making it!
I'm pretty sure V doesn't like it, think she has tried mione before!!!! That was ages ago and she changes her mind :)

Lots of Love

Kelly xxxx

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing such a great recipe, I too always wondered how it was made! Have a sweet day!

Rosie said...

I love Gnocchi but have only ever eaten it at a restaurant and had never thought to make it but thanks to you and your Nan - I think I will have a go very soon - your Nan's Gnocchi looks delicious:)

Pomona said...

Well, I am glad that you eat bolognese sauce - I had always wondered if it was one of those totally inauthentic English inventions! Your grandma makes it all look so easy!

Pomona x

Simone said...

Please thank your lovely nan for the recipe. I really want to try it out! If I make it I will give Gina the credit!!! I feel so hungry now! x

JuanitaTortilla said...

I LOVE GNOCCHI Gnocchi Gnocchi!!!
Mm... I can taste it already.
Sigh, you are making me hungry at 3am in the morning (Singapore time). Jet-lagged and hungry now :D

Alison said...

Oh, yummy! Thanks for this recipe, and for your great comment - yes, I hope we can do some kind of blogging Advent thing where we can show photos of how we celebrate - I can't WAIT to see the cribs you describe!

Kate said...

Hi Michela
thanks for the post I shall be making these tomorrow they look yummy, I'll let you know how I get on.
Have a great week
Kate.
xxxx

Betty G said...

That looks wonderful! I am going to try this recipe. I love learning new recipes and this looks absolutely yummy! Thank you so much! Luv~Betty

lesley said...

Ahh..the hands of experience right, & I bet she makes the gnocchi quicker than anyone else!

I wonder if my grandchild will call me a witch? well I don't mind a "good witch! lol

Duchess of Tea said...

Mmmmmm I am coming over!!!

Duchess

Healthy Shift Worker said...

Thanks Michela for sharing that recipe. The first time I made gnocchi it was a complete flop and I've been too scared to try again since! Your pictures might be able to help me to master this delicate dish ...

Rihana said...

The 'Apna Showroom' baby girl frock (for 1-year-olds) is a cute and attractive outfit choice for your little daughter. When shopping for a dress for a one-year-old, parents often prioritize beautiful designs and practical wearability. This product can be easily found using keywords Dressing Hair Comb for Men, Kids, Girls, Ladies And Women - wide teeth hair comb for wet hair
Apna Showroom Baby Girl's Knee-Length Dress Frock Skirts (Black 6-12 Months or 1 Years baby dress birthday dress black frock
Apna Showroom Baby Girl's cotton dress frock skirts for 6-12 months 6-9 months 1 year baby girls frock partywears
such as "1 Year Baby Girl Frock Online," "Baby Girl Dress for 1 Year," "Baby Frock Online," and "Cute Frock for Baby Girl." It makes a great addition to a little girl's wardrobe for birthdays, festivals, family gatherings, or special casual occasions.